Use of 'Should Have' in
We can use 'should have' to
talk about past events
that did not happen.
• She should have sent everybody a reminder by
• We should have remembered that our guests don't
We can also use 'should have' to speculate about
events that may or may not have happened.
• Harry should have arrived at his office by now. Let's
give him a call.
• They should have all read that first email by this
week. It's time to send the second one.
We can use ' should not have' to speculate negatively
about what may or may not have happened.
• Peter shouldn't have left work yet. I'll contact him in
• They shouldn't have boarded their plane yet. We can
probably still catch them.
We can also use 'should not have' to regret past actions.
• I shouldn't have shouted at you. I apologize.
• They shouldn't have treated him so badly. He was the
most talented and creative person in their team.
Please Note: The content of this article can be forwarded, published, printed and distributed without the consent of the owner of
Perfect Editing Solutions. However, the URL (http://www.perfectediting.com) must be mentioned wherever this article is reproduced.
Copyediting Article Mwords